FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Mar 9, 2015, 8:06 pm
Points Scrounger
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by tmiw
I'm really not sure how getting a Visa chip and signature card proves anything about their impending MC rollout. We really should wait until those come out and see use before concluding anything about their CVM lists.

(As an example of how "chip and PIN" is wildly misunderstood, take my recent conversation with an Andrews CSR where they promote their card as chip and PIN when in reality it's actually chip and signature. On top of that, the CSR claimed that the card can't force anything and it's "up to the merchant", also wrong.)
Fully agreed, but from First Tech's press release on the changeover, it's clear that they are following UNFCU's lead. I know we disagree on this, but I feel that the banks' conflating/confusing EMV with PIN will result in folks calling in after October demanding a PIN, being told "Oh, but you don't need one!" and getting back, "But, I want one!"

uds0:

No, you cannot run a credit card on a debit network, but then again, you cannot get (extra) cash back from a credit card purchase either. Unfortunately, I would assume that your "leftover" Visa card will be an (old-style) Signature-requiring one.

Last edited by Points Scrounger; Mar 9, 2015 at 10:50 pm