FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:14 pm
Points Scrounger
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by uds0
So Purchase with at least 1 penny cash back IS PIN priority?!?
Yes, but that's true of ANY card run over the debit network in the States today! What tmiw is telling you is that your Visa card purchases at stores and restaurants will be signature transactions. However ... this adds credence to the proposition that they're switching to MC because those will be PIN-primary for all transactions! In other words, you've jumped the gun a bit in getting a "leftover" Visa card. I'm strongly considering opening a First Tech account now, with the understanding that their debit cards will change over to PIN-primary for (almost) all transactions later this year, which would be good enough for me without having to apply for another credit card. I'm fine with a $25 lunch in Paris being deducted from my checking account, after I enter the PIN.