FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Where will the next generation of pilots come from?
Old Mar 8, 2015, 9:00 pm
Steve M

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by UVU Wolverine
I disagree with you here, not because what you say isn't true about pilot skill, but because pilot pay for larger aircraft is based upon passengers on board.

To me, that is worth more pay. If I were piloting a plane with 400 passengers I'd expect more pay than if I were flying a plane with 100 passengers.
I know that's the party line from pilots unions and from most pilots themselves. but I don't buy the argument, or really understand it. Does the check-in agent manning the first class line get several times the pay of the one at the coach desk? Does a bus driver driving an articulated bus get twice the pay of one driving a regular bus? Does a train engineer get paid based on the number of cars attached to his engine? Does the First Class flight attendant get several times more pay than the one serving the coach passengers?