FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Prepaid REDcard (Target) 2015-2016
View Single Post
Old Mar 8, 2015, 6:19 pm
iflyjetz

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by Brugge
Yes, it is. The OP won't answer any questions about the post. And the 800 # listed on the email is not a valid number. Finally, do you really think AMEX applied that to just 2 or 3 people nationwide, and left the other thousands of us doing the same thing alone? It is most definitely a hoax.
RFDMinnesota answered several of my questions in the other thread before he stopped posting.

The 800 number on RFDMinnesota's letter is 800-555-4318 and is listed as Account Protection Services. I just called the number and hung up after it said, 'Thank you for calling American Express Account Protection Services ...'
While a working, correct number doesn't make the letter authentic, the number listed on the letter is not fake.

I haven't done an exact count of the number of people who reported that they got the email in the locked thread, but the number was closer to 8 than 3. One, which said he got shut down for odd loads and posted a letter, was an obvious fake as can be seen by the different font in his letter. There are others (possibly the same persons) who reported being shut down in dansdeals (one person, but for different reasons and different letters) and three on the BoardingArea website.

If there are no more closure emails reported this next week, the likelihood of it being fake increase. Of course the response so far to saying one received this email might discourage recipients from sharing that information with the forum.
Consider this scenario: 2 people come forth next week and report that they got the email and post the exact same email, swearing it is real. Are people going to believe them or are they going to comb through their posting history while checking every word of the email for any possible error?

I think the more important question is whether or not one is going to do anything different if the emails are authentic. I'm still using my CC to put money on the RB; the only change for me is that I'm now spending a few bucks on consumables at Target using the RB for the 5% discount.

In a nutshell: Does it matter to you if the email's fake or authentic?