FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Mar 8, 2015, 4:51 pm
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
11. San Diego enjoyed a few widebodied flights from a variety of airlines. Interestingly though, only two of these widebodied flights came from cities east of San Diego. One of them was a United DC-10 from Chicago. Identify the airline, aircraft and nonstop route of the other widebody serving San Diego from the east.

Ah....this may well be: Western Airlines....the only way to fly!.....with a DC-10 nonstop from Denver.

Indeed it was. This was a one-stop direct flight from Denver to Honolulu routing through San Diego. Here's the schedule:

WA 553 DEN-SAN 1200n - 106p DC-10 Lunch
WA 553 SAN-HNL 205p - 550p DC-10 Lunch

I had the good fortune to fly First Class to/from Hawaii aboard Western DC-10 Spaceships on a number of occasions. WA always put on a nice service, highlighted by the volcano punch and really good steaks - sirloin, not tenderloin.

12. Most cities in Alabama and Mississippi cities were served via milk runs. Identify the city pair, the airline and the aircraft representing the longest flight into either Mississippi or Alabama. I'm looking for just one city pair operating into a city that's either in Mississippi or Alabama.

12. Well, I can think of two city pairs here, both operated nonstop by United with Boeing 727-100 equipment: Los Angeles (LAX)-Birmingham (BHM) and Los Angeles (LAX)-Huntsville (HSV). So which one is the longest flight? They are darned close: I think LAX-HSV is 1,813 miles while LAX-BHM is 1,815 miles.

BHM-LAX is correct. According to webflyer's mileage calculator, the distance between BHM and LAX is 1810 miles, ten more than HSV-LAX.