FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New route speculation for Cathay
View Single Post
Old Mar 7, 2015, 8:43 am
BostonFlyer1624

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I wonder if anyone knows how a new city is opened. I'm from Cambridge, just outside of Boston. I have an F award on the inaugural flight BOS-HKG. Does anyone here know:
  1. When they start a new destination, do they fly it once in advance just to try it out?
  2. For things like supplies, office furniture, etc., do they fly everything over in a freighter? Buy it locally? Ship it?
  3. Are ground staff transferred in? Hired locally? What are the odds that airport ops will be subcontracted to BA (as the JL checkin desks are manned by BA employees)?
Thanks!!
The short answer is: a lot of research, number crunching, and business models.

They dont ever fly it just to "try it out". That would be a huge waste of money flying an empty plane. Essentially, CX sees a demand for BOS-Asia business and believe that their network of flights will add value for pax not just flying to HKG, but beyond their hub on other CX flights.

As for supplies, I'm not sure what you are referring to. They won't have an office in Boston, just ground staff to handle airport operations. The may hire outside sales/account managers to interact with travel agents and tour operators in New England, but they will be home based, and they won't have a brick and mortar office.

Airport ops will 99% be outsourced to a 3rd party contractor - it could be BA staff as you suggest, or any of the many other ground staff companies that do work for the other airlines.