FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Mar 6, 2015, 8:14 am
JEFFJAGUAR

Actually Allie, the simplest and most hassle free is swipe and no signature. Done in seconds! More and more companies are dispensing with signatures, with visa and mc blessing I might add, for small purchases and the reality is, whether you or I like it, is very rare in this day and age since most of the time we swipe our own cards for some 16 year old kid working as a cashier to pick up a few bucks even looks at the signature for amounts under $200. See it every day of the week and twice on Sunday in supermarkets. Now that's truly hassle free; unless your card has been cloned and you get nailed with fraudulent charges I remember reading here of a British visitor to the USA who was absolutely shocked that in many cases no signatures were required and almost never checked on his credit card transactions and that the only place his pin worked was at Walmart! We'll just have to wait and see just how this thing finally shakes out but as I said, it is becoming evident that the USA will be a chip and signature country no matter what. The only question is how many places will use the pin on chip and pin primary cards. I would suggest it will be less than 30%.