FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - high power laptop & in flight power
View Single Post
Old Mar 6, 2015, 1:13 am
nkedel
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by ScottC
The only way around it is to let the power outlet charge the laptop (while it is shut down).

Charging usually uses significantly less power than charge+use. It isn't ideal, but that is the price you pay for a larger high power laptop.
Won't necessarily help; can't say for sure it's true of all 125W/130W supplies, but the two different 130W models I've tried will trip the in-seat breaker no matter what you're doing (even with just the brick plugged in without the computer attached.)

If he's got a model (most Latitude or recent XPS) where there's a mostly-compatible 90W version available, he should be able to use the 90W supply with the machine, either to charge it while off, or to run with some throttling (and no battery charging while the machine is on.) The amount of throttling has been more or less tolerable depending on the particular machine.

While rated for 75W, I've never had a seat power port deactivate with a 90W supply (whether AC, or either the Dell or Lenovo DC Auto/Air supplies I've had.)