FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CITI Prestige changes effective 10-18-14
View Single Post
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:42 pm
snackboxes

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
For me, the other potential draws for the product apart from Admirals Club access & family/guest privileges are: (i) the 1.6x multiplier for purchasing flights on AA with TYPs applies not just to TYPs earned with the card but to Citi checking/savings TYPs as well, (ii) the Priority Pass membership comes with free family/guest privileges (unlike Amex Plat's), (iii) the annual airline credit is $250 (more than Amex Plat's) and can be used for tickets (unlike Amex Plat's), (iv) with a Gold account at Citi, the annual fee is $100 less (so $450-$250-$100 = $100).

Obviously the key here is AA flights + Admirals Club access (requires same-day AA boarding pass).

The other key for me, which no one comments on, is that the 1.6x thing lets you buy a $400 AA ticket for 25,000 points with no capacity limitations, i.e., you don't have to struggle to find saver space. Or a $480 AA ticket with 30,000 TYPs. I've gradually figured out that that's what the card is all about. Finding saver space in this day and age is hard unless you're single, unemployed and childless. In my opinion.

So, yes, if you're not interested in AA flights or Admirals Club access, the card's a waste for you. Don't do it!
I agree. I have 70000 United Miles and I've been searching for award saver tickets to carribbean destinations for a while and found nothing. availability is very limited during the weekend and to find two tickets for my wife and myself can be very hard to accommodate. Also There's no additional fees for TYP redemption which is a big bonus.