FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:24 pm
tmiw
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
It's also kinda ironic that Barclays UK has two factor authentication via CAP while Barclays US has none. I know, different banks, but still.

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Maybe the largest thread that wasn't split into two (or more) before that?

There are undoubtedly threads which might be even longer if they hadn't been split up (ie, where one thread covered a couple years, and then was split off to a new thread for a couple more years, etc).
Good point. (Mods, if you have to split this thread, wait until it reaches 10K please?)

BTW: I got out my EMV transaction simulator app again and disabled everything but offline PIN. Results:

Chase/BoA/AmEx/Schwab/Discover: ARQC generated even without a valid CVM.
Diners Club/BoA corporate/Andrews: PIN requested, ARQC generated

This exercise also triggered some bugs which I was able to fix. ^ But the main point is that these CAP devices still work and produce eight digit codes with US cards even though arguably they shouldn't. No way to prove that the codes generated with these devices are valid at all though since no US bank supports them.

EDIT: now that I think about it, the contactless thread could probably be considered a split even though it didn't result in closing this thread.