FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Mar 4, 2015, 4:45 pm
Hawaiian717

Originally Posted by tmiw
Weirdly enough I've never been to a table service restaurant that used Square. A ton of takeout places around here use it though. I've also been to one that had order and pay at the table, but that was some other (possibly custom since I think it was a chain) POS system and was magstripe only.
The one time I can recall running into a table service restaurant using Square was one that had recently opened and they bought over their iPad touch (or maybe an iPhone) with the Square reader for me to sign on the screen. They've since switched to a conventional swipe credit card terminal.

The two chains I've seen custom tablet order and pay at the table are Stacked and Red Robin. Stacked did all ordering and paying at the table, but I think they still brought me the receipt to sign. Red Robin seems to be in a transitional mode since a waitress still took our order and in the end took my card away as normal to swipe, so I didn't actually use the tablet for anything; this was my first time in quite a while going there. I did see other tables swiping their cards on the tablet to pay, and it looked like it had a built in printer for the receipt.

The other place I've seen table-side tablets was Genghis Grill, but since that's a created to order Mongolian BBQ, you order and pay at the counter anyway so I'n not totally clear on what the tablets were for anyway. I think you could use it if you wanted to order more things later, like drinks from the bar which was separate from the grill.