FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mozambique Visa Question
View Single Post
Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:34 pm
Canarsie
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Canarsie
I plan on arriving by car from Swaziland, however.

I called Consular Services of the Embassy of Mozambique in Washington, D.C. earlier today; and the person on the telephone confirmed to me that a visa must be paid in advance: $160.00 — even if only for a day or two.

Although I am trying to ascertain whether or not $160.00 is worth visiting Mozambique, I would prefer to pay for it at the border crossing rather than mailing the payment in, as the embassy only accepts cash or money orders only.
I am in Maputo right now.

I had absolutely no problem obtaining a visa at the border. In fact, everyone was quite helpful; but the process did take about an hour due to an issue over the registration of the rental car — which was not a problem for me after all. The cost for the visa was $82.00 in cash. Ensure that you have newer notes, as they would not accept a dollar bill from 1999. I brought passport photographs with me just in case; but they took my photograph.

Third-party insurance is compulsory if you drive into Mozambique through a border crossing, as I did from Swaziland. The cost is 150 South African rand.

I had a Plan B just in case I was unsuccessful; but again, I had no problems at all.