FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - My Avios Balance is near Zero
View Single Post
Old Mar 2, 2015, 3:45 am
Gaza

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
My Avios Balance is near Zero

Since BA deserted the regions and became London Airways my Avios collection opportunities reduced to either Amex or Tesco. I've enjoyed many great flights in premium cabins thanks to BA Miles/Avios and 2-4-1 vouchers but the recent changes have led me to believe that I'll have to spend more to have any possibility of continuing with 'free' trips.

The deal with Mrs Gaza that allows me and Oscar to go skiing again next year was that we go somewhere warm at February 2016 half term. Given my Avios balance the Middle East was the only real option. In the run up to Friday 12th/Saturday 13th February 2016, availability in Club and First to Dubai was reasonable. However, when they released Friday 12th February 2016 there were only 2 Club seats on 1 flight. As I need 3 that wasn't going to work. I was also going to struggle to redeem my 2-4-1 voucher although I was prepared to book the outbound and inbound for the same day and then hope that the return gave good availability. Alas the 2 seats disappeared quickly so all hope was lost.

However, Qatar fly from Edinburgh to Doha and onwards to DXB so I thought I'd try that. Much to my surprise Qatar release their flights further ahead than BA and the return was almost opened up. I jumped in a grabbed three EDI-DOH-DXB Business Class flights (Economy on the DOH-DXB leg) on Saturday 13th Feb as a one-way. I then called BA at 8:00 the following day and managed to get the DXB-DOH-EDI Business Class return on Saturday 20th Feb. The good news is Qatar's Tax and Charges are much less than BA (BA were £1750, Qatar are £1030) but the downside is I could not use my 2-4-1 voucher so have spend almost my entire Avios balance.

Qatar fly the 787 Dreamliner from EDI and according to what I have read the Business Class cabin surpasses most other airlines First Class products.

I'm quite pleased with my deal. Return Business Class flights for 3 at £1030, 5 free nights at the Hilton Jumeriah using HHonors Points and a further 2 nights paid at c. £360.