FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Passengers that makes you want to scream
View Single Post
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:48 pm

Passengers that makes you want to scream

We rant ad infinitum, here, on how BA is letting us down and crew can't be arsed and ground staff don't care and blah blah blah, but what about our fellow passengers?

I've had my fair share of encounters with unsavory travelers, from obnoxious individuals to complete knobs. Take, for example, the Alicante flight that I've been on a couple of days ago: a packed flight with people who've decided to take onboard half of their possessions, at least judging by the dimensions of their carrier bags, and that all pretended that the crew literally created the space for them. Without using the space where the yellow-labeled bags should go, obviously.

Then, in Club, the full English runs out, leaving only the frittata or the cold platter. Now, I'm a big fan of the cold platter, and so are my arteries; but I understand that the full English is always the full English, and not having it might cause a bit of a stir. What I don't understand is why a grown man, possibly a man with a job and responsibilities and commitments, needs to behave like a 13-years-old teenager when he's told that, alas, the beloved sausages and bacon have indeed run out. And neither I understand why this man needs to subject the cabin crew, nice to a fault and really ready to find alternatives (seriously, she was showing quite a lot of inventive), to a stream-of-consciousness of rantings including punctuality, bags, the new Club cabin, food, price, the Border Force, all intertwined by the classic accusatory mantra "What are you gonna do about that?". Ignoring that, yes, she's offered you alternatives. Yes, she's offered you to fill a complaint form. Yes, she's apologised. And, no, she can't fetch you another sausage-and-bacon combo because we're in the middle of the bloody air.

Then, finally, a medical emergency happens. A full blown one, including defibrillator, big medkits, oxygen bottles aplenty, a panicked nurse who is asking the crew what can be done for her patient and the cliche call "Is there a doctor onboard?" (luckily, there was, bless him). All this, I should point out, on a A320.

And here comes mr Gold card holder (he took pride in showing it dangling from the handle of this carrier bag), hitting the 'call' bell button multiple times, only to ask the cabin crew, shuttling oxygen back and forth, for a drink. On a flight with 3 crews and a medical emergency going on. As fas as inappropriateness goes, this is second only to the one asking "Y'alright babe?" to a woman at her husband's funeral.

I see this sort of behaviour almost every single time I take it to the skies. Some routes - the Middle East, south of Spain - seem more affected than others, but there's no denying that for every cabin crew not doing his/her job, there are 10 of us behaving like, well, the diminutive of Richard.

Discuss!