FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Nicaragua - April 2-11 - how hot and dry?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 5:45 pm
ricktoronto

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by WillTravel
I've put an AA itinerary on hold, thanks to the Flight Deals threads, and I would land in MGA on April 2. I like the idea of being there for Easter (probably in Granada), but the main drawback I read is about it being really hot and dry at this time.

Is it still worthwhile to go then?
I an in Nicaragua 4-7 times a year. Easter two years ago my driver and I went to León for the Good Friday procession between the church in Subtiaba and the León cathedral, which if you are going for Easter is the one not to miss. Granada or other towns are amateur hour on Good Friday.

The sawdust carpets on the streets are something to see while light and the procession through the streets is once in a lifetime if you are not a Nicaragua regular.

It was still 45 C at 8 p.m. , no wind at all, and about 60% humidity so take lots of water. More than you could imagine taking. Though there is a lot available to buy. You won't need to go to the bathroom much despite drinking all that water, if you can imagine that. Leon is hotter than other areas but it is pretty darn hot most non hilly places in April. Selva Negra would e cooler, for example, just north of Matagalpa.

One note, frankly Granada is amateur hour as a destination all the time other than for the very old or very fearful. I know it is popular as it has that prettied up like an all inclusive / Disneyland sort of vibe but it is not really much of a representative place to see vs. real towns in the country..