FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Hilton Honors Account Hacked" thread
Old Feb 24, 2015, 7:54 pm
pilotjustin

My account was hacked a few days ago. I hadn't logged into my account in a few months and I noticed an email saying that my account changes had been updated. Upon seeing that, I immediately tried logging into my account with no success and was unable to reset my password. I immediately called HHonors and spoke to a representative. Someone had removed a letter in my email address and decided to book a room at the Doubletree in Bangkok using points. They had to call the hotel directly to cancel because it was a close-in cancellation. This person, with a Russian name listed as the second guest, booked the room with a check-in time within a few hours. They were able to cancel the room and my pin number was changed. Right before going to bed, I got another email saying that my account change was updated. I was able to log directly into my account and noticed that this same person booked a room at the Hilton in Bangkok and changed my email address again!! I was on hold for 45 minutes to speak to a supervisor in which I just then hung up. The following morning I called in and they cancelled the room for that night. It was 11pm local time in Bangkok and they said that person hadn't checked in yet. I asked how they booked the room and the agent said that it appears that they booked it directly with the hotel. I suppose it might be possible since they were able to get my billing address, telephone number, etc from my profile the first time. Switching HHonor accounts is the easiest solution to hopefully prevent this from happening again. I even had my account "flagged" after the first incident and only 1 in 5 agents over the phone even asked me the additional security question.