FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2016 European Vacation for 6
View Single Post
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:47 am
FTwatcher

2016 European Vacation for 6

Hi All,

Long time reader, first time poster.

Just want everyone's input to see what is the best approach to get a group of 6 people (all adults) to Europe in business class or better, with the least cost on American Airlines or OW partners. The date and locations are still fluid, so this is research to make sure I am prepare for the eventual ticket purchase and travel arrangements. So far, the only thing we have agreed on is sometime after June 2016 (I know - peak season for Europe).

Facts:
AA status - None (but will be doing the Platinum status challenge soon, and with the current travel plans - I expect to be EXP by Oct).
AA miles - 300,000 total miles (post AA and US merger)

I've been doing some research and this is the scenario that I found, let me know if it's feasible:
-Book 2 First class MileSaver OW award travels to Rome (example) for 62.5k per person (total cost: 125k miles + $200)
-Purchase 4 economy OW tickets to Rome, and use 4 SWU to bump to Business Class.
-Book 2 First class MileSaver OW award travel from Paris (example) for 62.5k per person (total cost: 125k miles + $150)
-Purchase 4 economy OW tickets from Paris, and use 4 SWU to bump to Business Class.

Has anyone ever done that many SWU upgrades in one flight(s) as a group? What is the success rate?

Do I need wait until I'm EXP with the 8 SWU, before I can have the other 4 passengers purchase their tickets? Or can they purchase the tickets before hand and apply the SWU later? I'm read through the AA websites and some postings on FT, but I'm a little confuse on the restrictions. My understanding is that you need to have the SWU when you make the purchase, by calling into the Platinum support line; but I've read on FT where people are offering expiring SWU to other FTers with upcoming trips.

Also, I was thinking of not using the First Class ticket award on myself and hope that my EXP can get me upgraded to Business or First class. Is that an unrealistic expectation for a possible upgrade, even as an EXP?

Thanks.