Old Feb 22, 15, 1:06 pm
gutenmorgan

Hi everyone,

My girlfriend and I are looking to book award flights to Indonesia next summer, and I'm trying to get everything figured out well in advance. Setting aside for the moment our return flight from Jakarta, our ideal outbound route is from JFK to DPS on CX, flying F where possible (less of a priority on the shorter HKG to DPS leg). 2 questions for the group:

I know that additional first class seats often open up as the travel date gets closer, and the FT-approved method seems to be locking in 1 J seat and 1 F at t-minus 331 and then monitoring chances to upgrade using expertflyer. That said, it would mean a lot for us to fly outbound in the same cabin, and I am seeing occasionally 2 F seats open for ORD--HKG where NY only ever gets 1. We could potentially save ourselves 11 months of background stress if we just fly AA from NYC to ORD before taking ORD to HKG. Does this cost us each an additional one way domestic award because cathay doesn't normally route NYC-ORD--HKG ?

Assuming one way or the other we arrive in HKG, and our CX flight arrives late enough, would we then also have no repercussions or penalties taking a sub-24 hour layover between our arrival and their daily 10am direct flight from HKG-DPS?

I have some additional miles I can burn but it would be annoying to run afoul of the constructed fare rule here.

Thanks!