FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cuba Trip Report – Jan. 2015 (US Citizen)
Old Feb 22, 2015, 11:09 am
LAX_Esq

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
I have been going to Cube since 2001. It is my favourite travel destination. The OP had high expectations and unfortunately did not have his epectations met.
Saying that someone "had high expectations" is generally has a negative connotation, and it's generally a way to discredit them so as to dismiss the substance of their observations. I'm not sure if this is what was meant here, but I don't think it's in any way accurate to say that I came to Cuba with unreasonable expectations.

I did lots of research and read many trip reports on Cuba prior to my trip, and saw common complaints among former travelers who generally enjoyed Cuba. These common complaints were about things like about poor infrastructure/efficiency, mediocre food, scammers and touts, overpriced admissions and accommodations, etc. Plus, I'm an experienced traveler, and I know to expect all sorts of hassles and inconveniences when I visit third-world countries.

So, I think I came to Cuba with very reasonable expectations. (Obviously I had generally good expectations; I wouldn't have gone had I expected to have a bad trip!) I don't think it's fair to make light on my trip report as that of someone who "had high expectations."