FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why isn't max 1 bag in OHB enforced?
View Single Post
Old Feb 21, 2015, 12:13 pm
dank0014

Originally Posted by exerda
And in F, there's more bin space to go around per pax. That's why I said most seats, particularly in Y, accommodate a legal personal item. I didn't say all did. Of course UA could issue F pax 2 tickets for the overhead... @:-)
I was just using that as an example. There are many plans on the UA fleet that have issues with the underseat space not being the same and exact for each passenger.

Go out and pull one UA plane and bring a measuring tape. Not only does the space differ from sometimes the exact type of plane, but also by which seat you may be in (aisle, window, middle, etc).

Add in issues that exist even in planes like lie flat seats where there isn't under seat storage, to many what if situations.

Asking UA, or any airline for that matter, to perfectly measure and predict each passengers behavior, what the exact measurements will be, how they position the bag, etc would be a complete mess resulting in complete chaos during the boarding process.

Without doing a complete study, I can only imagine that something like this would very much indeed delay the boarding process, result in tons of frustration, and result in UA needing to hire significantly more resources to manage, let alone asking UA IT to figure out this system when they can't even figure out basic things like their website.