FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The IRROPS saga of UA154 (Island Hopper) of Friday the 13th
Old Feb 18, 2015, 4:56 pm
aoumd

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Carnival VIFP Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by spearsba
I flew the HNL-MAJ-KWA route twice a year from 2005-2012. At that time they only had one extra pilot, always in 1A. The FAA changed the rules I believe in 2014 as I now do a MAC ATI flight Hickam to KWA. Those flights used to do a turn and burn Hickam-KWA-Hickam twice a week. They now have to remain overnight at KWA before returning to Hickam. I stopped using the UA flight after three consecutive failures to depart HNL on a Monday morning. I do miss the 5K RT miles, but need to get to KWA.

Also the HNL-MAJ-KWA flights tend to be full after Christmas/New Years holidays, around Spring Break and at the end of summer.

I did the KWA-GUM hopper leg once heading to OKA. I did enjoy the flight, but once was enough.
Thanks for mentioning the US Holidays' impact on the eastern end of the route! I clarified #13 to remove reference to ignoring US holidays.

And yes, I've noticed a lot of one-day delays in the past on the Island Hopper when researching this trip. This really is a big deal, as this flight is a lifeline to two nations. While my particular trip was for fun, many others on the flight are not there for fun purposes, and need to not miss their connections. I guess I didn't mention that well enough in my first post.

Originally Posted by TomMM
Where did the crew rest at TKK?
Not sure. We never saw the crew after they left as we were reaccommed on UA189 which left before the crew came back for UA154-become-UA2102.

In an amazing twist of fate, the consolidated international cancellations thread tells me that UA180 HKG-EWR was canceled on Tuesday. This is the flight I was ticketed to go back across the Pacific on had the Island Hopper run on time. The Island Hopper running 36 hours late didn't make me late for coming back to work today, but the canceled UA180 would have.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24375301-post407.html

My miles posted and they're about 1,000 PQMs short of what ORC would have been. They also appear to have me flying both HNL-GUM in S and TKK-GUM in Y. Only TKK-GUM is in Y, the entire rest of the trip is in S.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 18, 2015 at 9:10 pm Reason: 3x merge