FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Gold or Platinum challenge... Your advice is sought
Old Jul 10, 2002, 8:09 pm
bpauker

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
Gold or Platinum challenge... Your advice is sought

I bought three tix on that awesome $151 fare (2x OAK-JFK and 1 JFK-LGB), and I'm going to net (by my calculations) 8165 points, more than enough to qualify for the gold challenge. Of course, if I go for the platinum and fall short for some reason, those flights I flew between the 5k and 10k that would have at least accrued the 25% gold mileage bonus will have gone to waste in that they won't have gotten me any bonuses at all. I'm trying to decide whether or not I should just go all out and bag the Platinum with perhaps a trip to Europe or something (so that I can cash in on the 100% plat bonues) or should I be content with my 8100 points and 25% bonus? I can't find any cheap fares that will make the platinum qualifying that attractive of an offer. Help!! Any ideas for a run to put me over the top? I fly from SJC, SFO, and OAK (in that order)... I'll go ANYWHERE as long as I get there and back in no more than 48 hours and it's under about $500. Thanks!

By the way, a hearty congratulations to all who got in on those amazing (though far too short lived) fares on AA. Hopefully some other FTer will track down another bargain soon. :-)