FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Lifetime Diamond - Experiences, Questions, Is It Worth It?" thread
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:14 am
busyroadwarrior

Programs: UA GS 2MM, United Club, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by MCOGUY
I just got my lifetime Diamond status email as well! While the threshold is high, it's something that is clearly earned by building loyalty, which is the intention of the program. I have had Diamond for 14 years with at least 100 plus paid nights a year. I too hope there will be some type of tier bonus in the future, i.e. Suite upgrade or some type of perk. I often think if you stay double the Diamond stays of 120 per year, or even a 100 a year, there should be an upgrade priority for you, ie suite perk. I never ask for it, but it would be nice.. Anyway thanks Hilton for doing this, as it will be a nice perk for when I retire, and I'll stay with Hilton as a result.
Right on, I have been Diamond now for over 13 years straight and always have at least 150 paid/nights per year. It's nice to be recognized as a Lifetime Diamond, but put some additional benefits against it like allowing a family of four to get free breakfast and to go in the Executive lounge in the evening, or a suite upgrade as you suggest, it will then give others more to strive for, not to mention reward that long term loyalty.

I will say though that for the most part, most Hilton properties have been very accommodating when I do travel with family on occasion, but making it a clear perk for attaining Lifetime or even Diamond would give people something to work toward and probably draw others in from competing programs.

I know some are complaining about the 1,000 paid nights and 10 years, but that's what makes it more exclusive and in recognition of long term and consistent loyalty ^

I very much enjoy my United Global Services level, I spend a lot of money with United and have been a loyal customer for many many years, as a result they recognize that and give me some pretty nice and exclusive perks.

For those saying 10 years and 1,000 paid nights is tough to achieve, consider the airlines, on United to get lifetime Gold you need to have flown a million base miles, two million for Platinum, three million for 1K and four million for lifetime Global Service. Now I do 200,000 to 275,000 base miles a year, so 20 years and a huge amount of dollars on UA metal to attain lifetime in their highest tier, 40 years if you do a healthy 100,000 base miles a year.

Hilton, I think you have it right, 10yrs/1,000 paid nights, let Marriott and Starwood lower their requirements then have them lose the exclusiveness of attaining the level in the first place, but please give us Lifetime Diamonds a few extra perks in reward for our long term and consistent loyalty to Hilton.