FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [PREM FARE GONE] UA: NCL-EWR 600 DKK (mistaken fare) DOT ruled; see wiki for link
Old Feb 11, 2015, 2:31 pm
kalendil

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Executive Club
Originally Posted by nyjoe4
I am no lawyer, but I can't see how United can't honor these for those who have paid and been ticketed. It is six or so hours since the deal went dead, and some people will be flying on them soon, as early as tomorrow, I would assume.

There is nothing illegal in purchasing an air ticket in a foreign country. Many of us do it all the time; and we're often subject to higher fares in our own country of departure, which we suck up when required. I, and many others, often take advantage of currency fluctuations when purchasing air tickets.

They could go the "these were obviously mistakes" argument, but the credit card issue seems irrelevant. The reality is these fares are from the U.K., and were paid for in Danish Kroners, which United allowed people to do. They have been charged and ticketed. What's nefarious about that?
I know one guy who jumped on the phone and had someone physically in Denmark buy his ticket for him. I think he'll be fine, as will anyone else who paid with a bonafide Danish account. I think the people who should be sitting on pins and needles are the ones who were able to pay with non-Danish accounts, by tricking the system through drop-down menu shenanigans.