FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 5 days around Tuscon
View Single Post
Old Feb 7, 2015, 12:05 pm
abcx

5 days around Tuscon

I'm going to be in Phoenix for work at the end of this month and I'm taking 5 days off to drive down to Tuscon and explore. I've been to Phoenix and Scottsdale before and seen a lot of stuff around there (Taliesin West, Camelback, South Mountain, Apache Trail, etc.) so skipping that this time. Anyway, here's a list I drew up of what looks interesting. Most of the stuff is around Tuscon except for the Sonoran Desert Monument which is closer to Phoenix and then Organ Pipe is a bit out of the way.

Is this too ambitious for 5 days? Generally I like to spend more time in one place instead of doing a whirlwind tour. My trip starts at 6pm on a Fri night at PHX and ends late on Wed night back at PHX. I was thinking of driving from Phoenix to the Sonoran Desert National Monument my first night, spending the next day there, then driving to Ajo to stay near Organ Pipe where I will spend the next day, and then spending 3 days in Tuscon. Or should I compress the time in Sonoran Desert and Organ Pipe and spend more time in Tuscon?

I like to hike and this will mostly be an outdoors trip. Not that interested in art galleries or things like that but reasonably priced restaurant recommendations (mostly vegetarian here) are welcome. I will be traveling alone.

North of TUS/SW of PHX
Sonoran Desert National Monument

East of TUS
Sabino Canyon
Mt Lemmon
Saguaro National Park East / Rincon Peak

West of TUS
Saguaro National Park West
Arizona Sonoran Desert Museum
Tucson Mountain Park

South of TUS
San Xavier del Bac Mission (do on way from Organ Pipe to TUS)
Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument

Not sure whether to go / probably too much
Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge
Coronado National Forest

Thanks in advance!