FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Three op-ups and out
View Single Post
Old Feb 7, 2015, 7:50 am
Moriarty

Programs: FB Plat Lifetime - BA GGL - VS Gold - EK Gold - HH Diamond - SPG Gold - Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by morges1
I learnt of an alarming new enhancement in op-ups last week. Apparently, once one has received three op-ups in a year, that is it, whatever colour of card or level in the gold hierarchy. After three op-ups, you will still be put on the computer's upgrade list, which check-in or managerial staff cannot over-ride, but you will always be put in last place. As a GGLfL, I must say, I had a great year last year for op-ups but now, after three............!

As such, if you are a regular LH flier NEVER, NEVER accept an upgrade from ET to CE - that would count as one of the three. Even last night on ACC-LHR, when I was told CW was full I hoped that I wouldn't get an op-up. As it happened CW was exactly full and I happy slept for the possible 5 hours in 64A.
I've not had a single op-up as GGL but this is a little disconcerting. I can no longer get upgrades at the airport and if op-ups are going to be limited as well, the only benefit I have is the GGL phone line. Having accumulated 1500 TPs after just 3 months into my year I don't anticipate any issues in requalifying but this makes me question whether I should just use Avios for the rest of the year instead of paid tickets.