FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is this trip to Machu Picchu nuts??
View Single Post
Old Feb 3, 2015, 8:32 pm
iceblueshoes

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
As someone that is used to doing a city/day, I think your plan is nuts lol.

Here's what I mean, if you're not used to a higher altitude, when you try to breath, it'll feel like you're trying to breath out of a straw. The headaches are one thing, but pills and coca tea won't make up for the fact that your body isn't accustomed to having less oxygen and you'll feel out of breath quickly and often.

I would say, skip on the trip for now and do it when you have at least 4-5 days. You'll have way more energy and enjoy it more.
The 1st day may as well be a write off since you'll be moving around slowly.

If you do insist on going though, take it easy. Go slow.
I would HIGHLY recommend that you DON'T do the Wayna Picchu view. Just walk around Machu Picchu and if you're early enough, walk up to the sun gate and you'll get a nice picture/view of Machu Piccchu.

I went to MP and did the Inca Trail and had 2 days to acclimatize before the hike and it was barely enough. By the time I finished (but more so on day 3) I had no issues with the higher altitude, although I did blow out my knee in the process but that's a whole other story...

Anyways, I would say, spend the time in Cusco over Aguascalientes. More to see/do and feels a bit more authentic. Aguas is more or less backpacker central with jacked up tourist prices.

As for MP, I felt, 3-4 hours was more than enough. It was cool and all, but it's not a huge site by any means. Then again, because I did the Inca trail and saw various other sites along the way it was a bit less of a surprise perhaps?

In any case, good luck, but still think you should wait until you have more time to go.
And avoid the Scotiabank kiosk in the main square! That thing never gives you money, but you still get charged!