FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse
Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:26 pm
fastair

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Was just on eBay 10 days ago looking at a guy selling "advice" with a free gpu given. I thought to myself "Have people really not learned that UA trolls eBay/other sites for just such sales, and think they won't get caught?"

I'm no internet guru, have no clue about the "dark net", but to me, if I would risk something of great value in conflict with the ToS of the program, I sure as hell wouldn't do it on eBay. I wouldn't do it at all, but if I was less honest, I'd research how easy it historically has been to get caught on eBay, what the consequences for those busted was, and re-evaluate my decision.

UA isn't alone in their policing of their rules. Put a dollar value in things, and flirt with the tax rules changing. I'm guessing that the airlines have to do their best to make these "rebate" benefits as valueless as possible. This is just a theory though.

Just a 411, UA is even tougher or their employees who profit from their limited transferable discounted standby benies. I personally know multiple employees (should I say, former employees) who were terminated for selling their buddy passes for above cost. And these ARE taxable as imputed income, so they don't mess around when anyone violates the ToS of their ancillary benefits.

Last edited by fastair; Jan 28, 2015 at 6:36 pm