FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)
Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:02 am
GBBob

Programs: AA EXP, AA 3M Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Planning for a MR or two before end of Q2 and PVG seems like the best way to go using SWUs.

I am ex-ORD and intended route is ORD-PVG-HKG or ORD-DFW-PVG-HKG. Latter gives few more miles and shows more C availability. But given this is a 1-2 day turnaround, I am more inclined towards saving time and letting go of few miles. However, ORD-PVG rarely shows upgrade inventory more than a week in advance. Whereas DFW-PVG is little better in those regards.

For those who have experience watching this route... any thoughts on how upgrade inventory for J cabin goes between these two routes? Would it fairly safe to bet that ORD-PVG inventory will open up or should I choose the safer routing with upgrade inventory available at booking?
I have done the ORD-PVG trip 4-5 times a year since it's inception and have never not had a Coach to biz (sorry...not great on Class Codes) clear through either SWU or Miles and co-pay. My dates are usually flexible and the ORD-PVG leg usually clears first and the PVG-ORD can get dicey and it's come down to a gate clear a few times.

I do that as an MR occasioanlly as well as it's a great way to get 14K miles and only "lose" two days flying and no hotel needs.