FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Where to stay in San Jose and for how long
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:00 am
kamgol

What about Guanacaste?

Hi SJOGuy,

Since you're local to Costa Rica, do you have any thoughts on Guanacaste? Where to stay? I'm assuming fly into LIR instead of SJO. I was looking at the Hilton and JW Marriott, but I heard the Marriott is really isolated.

I want to do a lot of outdoor activities like cave diving, hikes, zipline, etc.

Thanks!

James

Originally Posted by SJOGuy
Downtown San Jose is less safe at night than it used to be. Whenever I need to be downtown after dark, I always take a taxi to and from. It's the safest way to do it.

But leaving aside the issue of safety, there isn't enough that's redeeming about the city to keep you here for long. (I live here in a quiet suburban neighborhood because San Jose is where my work is.) If I had a a month to spend as a visitor in Costa Rica, I'd limit my time in the city. You talk about "a stroll after dinner." A walk down Fifth Avenue it is not. This is not a strolling city. It's not like there are great stores downtown for window shopping at night or beautiful illuminated monuments and fountains. Except for a couple of historical buildings that have survived, downtown San Jose is a mishmash of boxy 1970s architecture.

San Jose has, probably, three must-see sights: the Gold Museum, the Jade Museum, and the National Theater. There are a few good restaurants. The city warrants two or three days, max, and even then, the average visitor doesn't devote that much time to the city.