View Single Post
Old Jan 27, 15, 8:44 am
a7m

Programs: Alaska Gold. SU Silver.
Originally Posted by RussianTexan View Post
I'm in charge of organizing a Russian visa for an American citizen in our party & I cannot believe the depth of information required.
The US asks Russians even more useless information when they apply for US visas, but on to your question...

Originally Posted by RussianTexan View Post
My query is about the letter of invitation: I can order it from waytorussia.net but which hotel do I put down? We don't really want to stay in hotels. Should we just make something up? Or maybe make a 1-day hotel reservation? How should I go about getting the letter of invitation?
Are you applying directly to through consulate? If so, you have to obtain a hotel invitation (called visa support letter). Most hotels in Russia that are used to dealing with foreign tourists can issue it to you for either free or a nominal fee--and email it to you. Important: visa will be valid only starting the day of your hotel stay. The end date is not important, because the visa will be for three years (as long as the passport is valid for 3.5 years).

If you are applying through a third-party agencies like VISA HQ (my only experience), they should take care of everything. In my wife's case, they put some hotel I never heard of. We stayed in a different hotel, which registered us with no problems.