FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:04 am
tmiw
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by reclusive46
All EMV cards have NO CVM except some cards issued in the Netherlands (MasterCard has an exception for Maestro cards issued there). I'd also say this means that they probably have signature on them as well as its no less secure than NO cvm.
I was going to say that this might cause problems for those cards, but the number of vending machines without a PIN pad is probably low to non-existant.

Originally Posted by bullfrog
Is it possible, in theory, for one to acquire a USB smart card reader/writer and use it to write a new CVM list to an EMV card? I suspect adding a new CVM, like offline PIN, to a card that does not already support it, would be tricky, but unless the CVM list is digitally signed, would it be that hard to reorder the CVM list already on the card, and then write it onto the chip?
If there's even a C-APDU to allow rewrites of the CVM list, it would probably be an issuer specific command which they wouldn't disclose to some random customer.