FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AI refuses boarding owing to no oz visa for interanational transfer in syd
Old Jan 20, 2015, 2:06 am
Leedsflyer

Programs: *A "Top 1000 2015", FB Lifetime Plat.; BA Silver; Ma; Hilton Diamond.rriott Gold
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
I can't really understand. UK citizens (unless he is not travelling with a UK passport) can enter Australia visa free, transit or not. Something is not right here.
I assume you mean "can't enter..."

but the URL you gave says:

---

Categories of eligible travellers

The following categories of travellers are eligible to transit through Australia without applying for a visa:

... Citizens of the following countries: ... United Kingdom (including its colonies),...

Criteria

Eligible travellers must be able to meet the following criteria to be permitted to transit Australia without applying for a visa. Travellers must:

enter Australia by aircraft
hold a confirmed onward booking to leave Australia to travel to a third country on the same or another aircraft within 8 hours of arrival in Australia
hold documentation necessary to enter the country of destination
and
not need to leave the airport transit lounge except to continue their journey.

---

so citizens of UK (and a number of other countries) can transit visa free. He broke the last rule though because we forgot about the luggage issue as a separate ticket and no interlining (though AI didn't actually say this was the reason -- I think their computer is more knowledable than the agents at BHX ;-)