FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)
Old Jan 17, 2015, 6:05 pm
JonNYC
Suspended

Originally Posted by djsteve
Folks,
I was wondering in my current naive state, what direct / connections constitute in Europe to South Pacific awards?
For example, J class awards for 3 people (as I am looking to book) are not easily found on direct routings such as SYD-SIN-LHR (BA). So I have been searching for separate awards like, SYD-NRT and NRT-LHR. A small complication is we are actually looking for WLG-SYD-NRT-LHR.
If I find availability on this route (for example), but with QF then JL or BA with a connection of less than 24hours (or is that 6hours??), would the route be valid?
I would refine my searching through the gateways noted above (BKK, HKG, NRT, SIN etc).
Just not completely sure that this is construed as a "direct connection" when using two carriers and is less orthodox than traditional connections with a single flight number or carrier?
Want to phone up armed with the correct information and known availability so confirmation of what people believe as the rules and routings permitted would be greatly appreciated...I can of course report back!
cheers
dj

For now, anyway, completely leave out the WLG-SYD portion, will only complicate things and very possibly will need to be on a separate award, so discard that for a moment (obviously you'll try and add it back in once you get the rest lined up.)

You can disregard the specified Asian airports from my old info. I forgot why at the time they names the connection points (the was a reason-- and it was before published fare rule, so maybe that was it) as the current, verbatim rule is:

"Europe to South Pacific may connect in Asia1 or Asia2" Now that is then overplayed with the published fare requirement-- and that can be tricky, but you're routing is pretty non-demanding. Connection time is 24 hours.

Also, note that you can fly SYD-DXB-LHR using Qantas using the single flight # QF flights -and- you can review the availability of those on AA.com.