FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Courtyard Tokyo Station, Japan [Master Thread]
Old Jan 16, 2015, 11:25 am
TWToKM

Programs: DL PM/1 MM, Bonvoy LTT
Just got back from a 3-night stay at this hotel. This was my first trip to Japan and I found it to be the perfect location to have as a base for all of my tourist activity. I found it to be centrally located and easy to find on a map given I could always just look for Tokyo Station and easily orient myself. I do agree with other posters in that it is somewhat difficult when exiting from the Narita Express train at Tokyo Station, but the hotel website has a link with a map (note: this is specific to this hotel and not just a google map that you see for other Marriott properties) and I also found the station map I had printed ahead to be helpful to find the right exit that coincided with the courtyard map. After I did it once, it was easier though. Plus the hotel is on a main shopping street with very distinctive lights up and down which I found as a fantastic landmark to orient myself when walking.

As an additional note about the walk from Tokyo Station to the hotel: I had read on other sites that the alleyway leading up to hotel can be scary at night especially for single females walking alone and while I never did the walk late at night, I could see how that could be true. I would suggest walking down the road to lhe left of the one they indicate on the map as it seemed to be a busier road. (I.e., when you take the road they suggest the hotel building will be directly on your left, but it you take this other one, the hotel building would be directly on the right.)

As stated, this hotel was personally great for exploring the city. Subway lines are close by and the Narita Express train as well as bullet trains are right there at Tokyo Station. Some have noted this to be a 10-15 minute walk, but as it is only 2 blocks, I found it to be closer to 5-10 minutes even with luggage. From the hotel I was able to walk to Ginza, as well as the Fish Market. I did take a tour and while the hotel was not one of the hotel pick-up sites (I think I read somewhere it is because there is no real place for buses to park), I found the Mandarin Oriental as a pick-up point for my tour, which was easy to get to from the Courtyard as it is less than a mile away and easily walkable and easy to find as it is essentially on the same street as the Courtyard.

Regarding the state of the hotel, I would agree that it is somewhat basic, but as a solo traveler, I found that I had more than enough room for myself and my luggage. There was a safe, tv, small table, and armoire. The gym wasn't overly equipped, but there were two treadmills, a bike, and an elliptical, along with some weights. The lobby is small, but there is a large table, where I frequently saw people working.

As a gold member, I was given daily vouchers for breakfast in the restaurant on the first floor (Lava Rock). It was buffet style with eggs and omelets made to order. I also got a voucher to use for drinks and apps at night, but as I was out and about most days, I never made it there, so I can't speak to that.

In summary, I found this to be a good base hotel for sightseeing and not sure if it was the time of year, but was surprised by the cost as I found it to be much cheaper than other options and less expensive than the other Marriott properties in the city.