FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)
Old Jan 13, 2015, 5:54 am
swag
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by AtlanticX
Having booked a flight for March, I did wonder how the following benefit worked.

* Upgrades for Flights under 500 mile, According to AA:
for GLD, PLT and EXP.

However, when I scroll down manage my booking, where one segment is AUS-DFW, I see "request upgrade" N/A. I picked a good preferred seat for free, just to be sure, but how does the upgrade process go. Will I just get a note that my upgrade went through at T-24? Will I be able to pick a seat then, or just get a random First seat assigned?
Originally Posted by MADPhil
If you made the reservation before you achieved status then you need to call in to get the reservation relinked, however the fact that it says N/A for "request upgrade" suggests that your status is already on the reservation. Unless there is no FC of course!
Originally Posted by JY1024
I believe the quoted "Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades" is under the section that says "Here's how upgrades will work once we combine our loyalty programs in the second quarter of 2015."

So given that it's a March flight, my thought is that it would still require 1 500-mile upgrade to be burnt. (Though I've never been known for my reading comprehension skills, so please correct me if I'm interpreting the page language incorrectly. )
I have a short flight I booked months ago for travel in April/May. It shows Upgrade Requested, and 1 (per person) Required. So I don't think the free sub-500 is implemented on the website yet.

I would call AA to verify all this, and get your status updated onto the reservation to be sure.