FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Going back to film (temporarily)
View Single Post
Old Jan 9, 2015, 5:38 pm
ND Sol

I started off in the darkroom in high school working on prints, using Kodachrome for my slides and I still have my Nikon F. When I first saw sports photographers on the sidelines at college football games shooting digital, I just couldn't see how that could possibly compete in terms of quality with analog. But times have changed.

To me, I just can't see going back to film with its unknowns and cost per image.

I will just relay a story I heard from Art Wolfe in the creation of his most recent book, Earth Is My Witness, which is a compilation of some of his best photographs. When he started putting it together and was looking at his transparencies, he realized that the quality of the medium did not hold up in the digital world. So for the ones he could recreate, he spent a couple of years reshooting. The times have changed.

Your proposal might be a good exercise in focusing on the craft, but I wouldn't want to risk my memories on a film-based system when the quality of digital is available. Have you considered just taking those rolls of Velvia and shooting them locally first before committing to a trip?