FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - WARNING: MyPoints account(s?) disabled when "detrimental" to them because of "abuse"
Old Mar 25, 2003, 2:09 pm
Rut Dog

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
WARNING: MyPoints account(s?) disabled when "detrimental" to them because of "abuse"

This is a new development that I thought should get it's own thread, even though it has been brought up in the thread on account disabling. I, and likely others, had been ignoring that thread because account disabling, at least in the recent past, had always been a routine/random security check or technical glitch.

fscher reports an account disabled for no other reason than because MyPoints wanted to. Of course this is in their T&C, as was mentioned in the e-mail received by fscher, but has this happened before to anyone?
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">We are writing in regards to recent activity on your account. Please note that per our Terms of Service, which you agreed to upon registration:

- Member agrees not to abuse MyPointsŪ privileges by conduct which is detrimental to the interests of MyPoints.com.

- MyPoints.com reserves the right to terminate or disable, at MyPoints.com's sole discretion, any MyPointsŪ membership if MyPoints.com
believes such Member has violated or acted inconsistently with the rules of MyPointsŪ or intent of this Agreement. Member understands and agrees disabling of membership will result in Member's inability to redeem and/or earn Points. Member understands and agrees termination of membership will result in the cancellation of all of Member's Points.

- AT ANY TIME EITHER MEMBER OR MYPOINTS.COM MAY TERMINATE MEMBER'S MEMBERSHIP WITH OR WITHOUT CAUSE. MEMBER'S RIGHT TO USE MEMBER'S MEMBERSHIP IMMEDIATELY CEASES UPON TERMINATION AND MEMBER'S UNREDEEMED POINTS SHALL BE CANCELLED.

Attempting to earn Points in a way that abuses our offers may lead to your account becoming disabled. If you have questions regarding your account, please contact us at [email protected].

Have a nice day.

Best regards,</font>
"Have a nice day." Boy, someone missed the irony of that one!

In any case, the "good" news is that Bkniaz reports...
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">...I had put in for a transfer of 4K points to Hilton points, 2 weeks ago.

My account was dissabled sometime early last week, and the transfer still went through last Friday. Even with my account dissabled.</font>
Of course, we don't know if Bkniaz's account was disabled for the same reason or not (please let us know if you know, Bkniaz, and if you are able to get reinstated).

So, if UAL bankruptcy wasn't enough to get your attention, this just might prod you to start transferring or redeeming now. HHonors points transfer on Thursday night.

Good luck,
Rut Dog

P.S. If you want to know about account disabling in general, read the linked thread above from the beginning.

In general, if your account has been disabled you can try

And if you have questions about Hilton HHonors transfers, just search the S.P.A.M. forum using the terms "Hilton HHonors MyPoints" and you will find lots of info in those threads.

[This message has been edited by Rut Dog (edited 03-26-2003).]