Old Jan 6, 15, 12:31 pm
Platy

Originally Posted by djsflynn View Post
See the bottom of my review, where it clearly says "David Flynn travelled on the inaugural Qantas Airbus A330 Business Suite flight as a guest of Qantas". This is a standard declaration which runs under all AusBT content derived from a trip where airfare was covered by a third party (e.g. an airline, Airbus or Boeing).

Not a 'kickback', which is defined as payment (specifically "a payment made to someone who has facilitated a transaction or appointment, especially illicitly", is one example). But yes, Qantas paid for me to fly directly back on the next PER-SYD redeye (old A330 seats, ouch!) after I flew SYD-PER on the A330BS.

What on earth has that got to do with my review of the seat? I don't see the 'issue' here which you are asking somebody to champion.

PLATY, you clearly don't have a grasp on the realities of media - nobody gets rich doing this gig. There's no way I or any journalist could afford to buy our own airfares for reviews, especially when it comes to J and F travel. Ditto for attending lounge openings, Airbus & Boeing media briefings etc.

As it happens, I can accept paid tickets because I don't have to 'aspire' to independence I'm a professional journalist, so I'm trained to be independent, just like you've been trained to fulfil some necessary aspects of your profession. It's what my long and successful career has depended upon.
David, why not simply add a clarifying statement at the bottom of your FT post rather than rely on the good folk of FT needing to link to the primary site to glean that info?

The material IS very useful and evidently appreciated by many.

I am quite aware of the realities of the media having worked in various aspects of it myself and had a father who headed up news and current affairs for one of the world's leading broadcasters employing 600 journalists.