FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Carry-on Items That Meets UA's Size Requirements? Enforcement?
Old Jan 4, 2015, 9:28 am
bldr1k

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
Does anyone have experience with the Tumi Alpha 2 International Carryon? While the dimensions meet United's rules (9x14x22), I just recently got this bag and have flown 2 segments on a 73G in F where the bag would not fit at all in the bins over row 1, and row 3 was already full, so I ended up putting it sideways over row 2. Is this due to the curvature of the plane or just the fact that the bins on the 73G are older? I've had no problem with the 738's 9's and 320's. I seem to end up on a lot of 73G's and 319's so I'm wondering if this is going to be a recurring problem. My old bag that was the same dimensions (but did not have the hard type sides like the Tumi) fit in there, probably because it was able to compress. Thoughts?
This is my primary bag and it easily fits the United sizer (it is actually an inch shorter then it needs to be).

These specific United airplanes have smaller bins in the front of first class and bags that fit the United sizer will not fit these bins properly. Other airlines extend the same size bins into the isle further but United shortens the bins as the airplane curves toward the front. Personally I don't hit this very often and don't think it is a reason to switch to a different bag. Of course this is one of the reasons people line up in group one 40 minutes early...