FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)
Old Jan 3, 2015, 6:24 pm
25milesfromhome

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by pdxyz1
It's now a little less than a year from departure, and I've managed to snag r/t award tickets for two YVR-SYD on Cathay (YVR-HKG-SYD and the reverse). All legs but HKG-SYD are in business class.

I check almost daily (obsessively??) but so far am stuck with economy HKG-SYD. Adding a one-day stopover in HKG, I can get business class HKG-MEL on Cathay and then MEL-SYD on Qantas.

I'd rather go direct on Cathay HKG-SYD, but for the sake of flying business class could live with going through MEL on Qantas. Should I wait it out and hope to switch to Cathay business class HKG-SYD, or take the Cathay/Qantas business class seats now?

I'm booking with AA miles. AA's phone rep didn't charge a booking fee, by the way, and in fact never mentioned it. Thanks to all here for the wonderful help and advice.
I'd take the layover and the HKG-MEL-SYD routing. If the HKG-SYD flight becomes available, you can switch since there is no charge for date or routing changes. Though the risk is small, if they don't, at least you are in business, and Hong Kong's a great city even for a one day layover.