FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Transit at KL
Thread: Transit at KL
View Single Post
Old Jan 3, 2015, 10:09 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by FliesForWork
1) Is there fast track immigration in KLIA1 for BA flights (travelling in First)?
Some airlines do this, but I've no idea if BA will use that facility. It doesn't normally take too long there, the locals have e-gates they can use, but I've had a few 30 minutes in the queue (OK, twice out of what, 30 visits in the last dozen years?). I normally count on being on the KLIA Espres into town about 30-40 minutes after landing at the Satellite building - which I'm almost certain BA will be using. Broadly, 5 minutes walk from gate to the transit, 5 minutes transit ride, 2 minutes to immigration, add the wait there, then another 5 minutes to the landside station. This is with HBO....

2) Can I actually avoid immigration altogether and go airside to KLIA2 to catch my onward flight to Thailand?
Not that I can think of. They are pretty much 2 different airports - and the comparison is between T5 and a basic hall like airport like TXL Air Berlin's building - almost as if they are trying to make a point via the presence of greenery or not. So I'm fairly certain you have to go landside and transfer on the not-that-regular train to KLIA 2 (and that was only begrudgingly provided).

3) Is there any way to interline my baggage from BA onto Air Asia? (my guess is not)
Almost certainly not, unless you can somehow find a way of getting it on to one ticket. Air Asia being a low cost carrier it would be like doing it via Easyjet.

4) Depending on the answers to the above, do I stand any chance of catching 6.10pm flight? If not I'd probably opt to catch the first flight direct to Krabi the following morning.
With HBO (Hand Baggage Only) yes, you have a chance. With checked baggage, it won't be easy. Why not stay the night, e.g. at the KL Hilton Sentral or the Meridien next to it? Nice hotels, not too expensive and an easy run from the airport.