FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)
Old Jan 1, 15, 11:58 am
mattsteg

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM (FO soon), A3 Gold, TK Classic Plus, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, National EE
That sounds excessive. Look at what you can book now for guidance on what far out availability looks like. Watch what is typically available as the booking window opens and plan accordingly. Hold/book your outbound when it comes available. Hold/Book your return when something acceptable opens up. If you need to, improve it as necessary. A lot of us deal with similar restrictions. Especially if you are not locked into specific dates ahead of time(and even if you are) it should not be a big deal to lock something in well in advance. I do not see the benefit to booking something that you wouldn't be willing to fly, and asking for hold extensions is a foolish game with no guarantee of success. If you want the seats, book the ticket.

The last trip I booked a year out I had literally 2 days of flexibility to book hilton awards pre devaluation and coordinate with work schedules and vacation availability. It was not a problem to get the flights needed, except a slightly suboptimal domestic connection on the return.