FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mother's frustration with United while traveling with disabled child
Old Jan 1, 2015, 10:39 am
Tchiowa
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by greg99
I'm far from a UA apologist, and I have a child with medical issues myself, so I'm sensitive to issues around travel with special needs kids.

That said, from what I'm reading from the account, the mom was in the wrong here, except maybe as to the FA's attitude. She should have checked with UA and gotten it cleared.

One element that i didn't see addressed is that an unrestrained 3 year old who is unable to support themselves is a danger to other passengers in the event of an emergency or turbulence. No way mom could hold her in the event of an emergency landing.

UA is guilty of a lot, but I'm not feeling this one.
I agree with you. It's tough to take a stand against a disabled child (I have a niece who has severe issues) but the reality is that there is a right way and a wrong way to deal with this.

UA requires 48 hour advance notice if someone severely disabled will be flying so that they can make the proper preparations. They also require that they check in an hour before the general public. Children over 2 must have their own seat and sit in their own seat. They can have a car seat or similar seat attached. But they cannot sit in someone else's lap for safety reasons.

By law, for example, when they transport the child to the airport in a car, the child must have their own car seat and cannot be held in someone's lap. So why is it an imposition to do the same on a plane during take-off and landing?