FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Thoughts on DUB-JFK with B.A.(AA) price?
View Single Post
Old Jan 1, 2015, 5:45 am
NickB
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Ok. Enjoy doubling your travel time and flying in Norwegian and paying extra fees. Norwegian routes may be economical for backpackers when they're under $500-- but not (1) when the destination is Dublin, which is usually the cheapest destination to fly to in Europe and also the farthest West destination in Europe and (2) when Norwegian with extra inconveniences cost $700. (The point about LHR was that even if you stop in London you're still saving hours on travel time as opposed to Oslo.)
But more importantly, don't suggest that the only inconvenience is a 2.5 hour layover in Oslo, as you're way over flying Dublin and then backtracking, doubling your travel time. Norwegian would be the equivalent of flying Los Angeles to Denver via JFK.
The fact that you don't know what "return" means also suggests you're not quite the expert you're pretending to be, which is fine; we've all started somewhere. But with this experience level I wouldn't be looking for threads from 3 months ago to put in my uninformed two cents. This isn't a site for student backpackers; most grown ups place a value on their time (and comfort). (Putting aside the ability to earn miles which is a major point of Flyertalk...)
I just do not understand that determination to attempt to prove studentflyer3412 wrong, belittling him as uninformed and erecting yourself implicitly as the super-duper expert in the process. This is really unnecessary.

The reviving of a 3-months old thread here does seem a little strange but there really is no need to aggressively berate somebody with only 10 posts for this unless you want to discourage infrequent posters, least of all — horror of horrors — "student backpackers", from joining the conversation so that only self-appointed "experts" can talk among themselves.

On the substantive point, what studentflyer3412 says is far from being outlandish. Some flyers are willing to very substantially increase their flight time and forego inflight catering for saving, say, $200. It may not be something that you may want to do. It may not be something that I might want to do but different strokes for different folks. Who are you to decide what priorities individuals should have, especially on a forum dedicated to budget travel?

Oh, and by the way, since you regard yourself as a much better informed traveler than studentflyer3412, you will be familiar with geography and great circle distances and it will surely not have escaped your attention that DUB-OSL-JFK is not remotely comparable to LAX-JFK-DEN. If you want something broadly comparable in terms of distance, something like flying ATL to SFO via PHL would be much closer to the mark. And if you think such an itinerary is outlandish, speak to US flyers.