FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Thoughts on DUB-JFK with B.A.(AA) price?
View Single Post
Old Dec 31, 2014, 4:35 pm
studentflyer3412

Originally Posted by Adam1222
The rules don't explicitly prohibit responding to old threads, it's just that the question of whether a fare that was available in September was a good deal is moot, as obviously the fare he was thinking of booking isnt the same three months later. Whether it was a deal in September can't be compared to what prices are now.
(Arguably, it could violate the rule on "contributive posting." but I wasn't suggesting a rule violation, just a pointlessness comment.)
Also, if you read carefully, you would have seen the OP would have had a stop in London one way ("via LHR one leg"). LHR is an airport code that means London Heathrow.
Finally, as I stated in my initial post, if you were to book this flight today, and had the choice of nonstop on a "full-service" carrier for $870 or on Norwegian for $725 plus fees and nearly double the travel time, I think the choice is pretty clear.
I have to disagree. True, the OP's first comparison fare likely changed since September, but there could still be plenty of relevance in pointing out to the OP what I saw as a good deal in the event that the OP didn't book the flight yet. And, given that I misread/understood the OP's post about "return" trip, this is especially relevant as my post referred to a cheaper one way flight than what I (incorrectly) read the OP's fare as. Ultimately, though, as is clear from above, this point is moot now as I acknowledged that, due to my issue with understanding the return issue, I gave bad advice.

Also, and I now realize the point about London layover, but, nonetheless, I was suggesting another route. Nothing in the OP's post suggested that the OP has to make a layover in London, but rather that London just happened to be a layover point on the fare/itinerary that the OP was reviewing in September.

Finally, I don't know if I'd go that far. If the OP is on a budget and is not packing much, then a decision to take the option with an ultimate savings of $150 is a pretty to some; and let's be clear, the $725 Norwegian (unless you're adding meals or choosing a particular seat or checking bags) doesn't include any additional fees . . . I know because I booked with Norwegian for my upcoming trip to Europe. I'd take the $150 savings on a budget flight under similar circumstances in a heartbeat. Heck, looking at fares now, I'd even take an extra long layover (as in close to a day) if it meant spending $200+ on a return Dublin to NY at the end of April (I just looked at some routes and saw how to make it work for $655). But, then again, I pack lightly (even when traveling to Sydney for a 3 month exchange program, I used a carry-on only, and just washed clothes weekly) and find myself asleep on most of the flight. I also will bring snacks from home or otherwise buy a cheap meal to bring on the flight from the airport. Now, if the savings were only $10-$50, then not even I would do something like that!