FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - World Traveller... Expectations!
View Single Post
Old Dec 26, 2014, 6:12 am
Athlete95

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Petrus
Well... we did two sectors in WT over the last 4 weeks after having not been down the back for 7 years or so. It is not comfortable for sure. However, it is not unbearable either.

That being said:

An exit row is a must if tall. Avoid bulkhead at all cost!
Window is preferable as you can snuggle against the wall.

If you are three or more, always try to secure your own row. It is more practical and you won't share shoulder and elbow room with a total stranger. Any male of common build will rub shoulders, fact.
Outbound we had 2+2 meaning a stranger was in the aisle seat.
Inbound we did 1+3 with solo traveller in 29K for extra legroom. Much better. When in the 2+2 setup there was a real jobsworth in the aisle seat who had a different view on hygiene, common courtesy and decent manners. Over weight did not help.

This is by far the worst part with Economy Travel. You are very much at the mercy of other people as personal space is constrained. After the outbound, we swore to never do this again. After the inbound, we concluded that with the right strategy we'd do it again if absolutely necessary.
As mentioned up thread, we do however still enjoy all the perks of having status at the airport (and on board). Both sectors CSM came up and introduced herself (with many strange looks from other WT pax) and crew where nice and professional.
One of them suggested I drop into Club Kitchen for a snack. I politely declined as I have no business in there on a WT ticket. 5 minutes later she shows up at my seat with a packed goodie bag. Now that is service.
Where abouts did you travel Petrus? I'm only 5ft 10 so legroom shouldn't be much of an issue. The main thing that I'm concerned about is the length of the flights. To/from DXB/JFK I wouldn't ever hesitate about booking WT, but BKK/SIN are very, very long flights..

I agree with the idea of preparation being very key. That's why, I'm sort of thinking that with such cheap flights, I should just do it. I've done WT+ frequently before and that's always been absolutely fine.