FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Traveling with an Emotional Support/Service animal on UA Q&A [CONSOLIDATED]
Old Dec 24, 2014, 10:33 am
FWAAA
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by itsMoe
On a recent flight, a couple boarded with two dogs. One of them was some kind of poodle-sized thing, the other one I could not identify at all. Upon boarding, the FA asked if these were service animals, and the woman responded "Yes, both are". That was the extent of the questioning, there was no proof asked for, no documents checked or anything like that.

<snip>

Is this SOP, or was this an oversight? Between this and the "emotional support pig" on a domestic flight a while ago, shouldn't there be some kind of proof required if you're going to bring a pet on as a service animal?
The passenger provided whatever "proof" was necessary to the gate agents, not to the flight attendants. FAs have no training to screen for legitimate or illegitimate service animals and have no business asking anyone for such "proof."

Originally Posted by sbrower
I wonder whether an individual on a flight, who was affected by an animal that was "claimed" to be a service animal, but really wasn't, would be able to sue the owner for negligence/infliction of emotional distress or something else based on the fact that it was actually "unlawful" to have the animal since it wasn't really a service animal? There would be no ADA defense because you are suing the owner, not the airline.
The ADA is inapplicable - the relevant statute is the Air Carrier Access Act.

And yes, I'm sure the ACAA permits fellow passengers to sue the mentally and emotionally disabled passenger for infliction of emotional distress for bringing their emotional support animal with them.

It's federal law. It's not United's fault. Don't like it? Call your Representative and Senators.