FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Would a "helpful" post button add value to our forum?
Old Dec 24, 2014, 7:39 am
uk1
Suspended

I'm against.

One of the inevitable outcomes of moves like this is that it becomes a convenient tool of cliquedom.

On some of the non-FT forums I see where this operates, it very clearly starts off well intentioned but inevitably becomes less a tool of post approval but more a tool of poster approval and disapproval, irrespective of the actual specific post content. People on those other forums always seem to approve every single post of their mutual support clique.

This forum has gone through many good and bad times, and a well intentioned tool like this inevitably morphs from it's original purpose but then eventually becomes a tool of groups of people to mutually support each other whenever and whatever they post and also used negatively when one of the attacks other mutually disliked posters or perceived enemies. It becomes a well abused tool particularly in heated and emotive debates. All of us have experienced the distinct feeling that once you have disagreed with another poster, nothing you ever say in future will not prompt disagreement from them. It is sadly human nature. This will become a really easy tool to make that syndrome bigger and easier.

I understand why people think this is a progressive step in theory but in my view in time, in practice eventually it takes away more than it adds and I believe will harm FT rather than improve FT. Once it is introduced, I don't see it as easy to remove it if you then regret introducing it.

So what does it really add? I like the rather simple and old-fashioned idea of posters who feel so motivated to simply say "Thanks" or the "thumbs up" or "+1". Must we automate even that?

Last edited by uk1; Dec 24, 2014 at 7:52 am Reason: spelling