FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Kimpton is for sale [sold to IHG]
View Single Post
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:15 pm
rgdave

Programs: AAdvantage, Skymiles, Priority Club, HHonors
From reading the posts, I'll clearly be in the minority. But I think this is a really interesting move on IHG's part. I don't think it was done purely for the investment potential, but rather for IHG to acquire some of the expertise that makes Kimpton so special. All the major players, with the possible exception of Starwood with W (which is getting tired) are struggling in the boutique/lifestyle space. But IHG has some really intersting Indigos - like Tianjin and Shanghai on the Bund in China - that aren't corporate cookie cutters. And in Asia, at least, my IC and Crowne Plaza experiences have been universally great.

I think IHG will be studying Kimpton very closely to pick up the DNA that makes Kimpton tick. It will be very interesting to see how they brand these hotels in the IHG portfolio, and expand the brand. This could form the nexus within IHG for a boutique brand of 'independent' hotels, which could be a really interesting development. My hope is that IHG doesn't screw it up. The biggest problem with IHG IMHO is brand consistency over its sprawling portfolio. But their 'new' brands, HI Express, Indigo, Staybridge and Candlewood, are much more consistent than their legacy brands, IC, Crowne Plaza and Holiday Inn. Hopefully they'll be able to nurture the Kimpton buy into a boutique portfolio of maybe a hundred hotels. With a new brand and new franchise agreements, they might be able to actually require and enforce brand standards.

I agree that IHG is piss poor at consistent frequent traveler recognition. I'm IHG Platinum and IC Ambassador (not Royal). At some properties I'm treated like royalty, at others barely above a Priceline deals guest. I think they need to make Platinum more difficult to achieve, but at the same time make it actually worth something.

For Kimpton, a niche player in the U.S., this expands their global reach and recognition. IHG brands are well regarded in Asia, and this will greatly increase visibility for the brand in Asia.

Hopefully some of the key features of Kimpton hotels, like being pet friendly, will be part of the brand standard, and could be expanded to other IHG hotels/brands.

Overall, I think IHG is a very interesting company to watch. Because of the size of the company, the muddled brands and legacy franchise agreements, it can seem like change their is pushing a battleship with a row boat. But they seem willing to try things. True, Into the Nights was a bizarre promotion, but the Big Win promotion was interesting and generally well liked. Both, though, were different than anything any other hotel company has tried, and I give them points for that.

If IHG could get its act together with its legacy brands outside of Asia and leverage the Kimpton buy into something really special, it could give Starwood a run for its money, something Hilton and Marriott have been unable to do. And maybe, just maybe, some of that Kimpton stardust will make its way into the IHG DNA.